Find your AdventureThere’s no place on earth quite like Wells Gray Park with our volcanic fields, glacier fed lakes, wildflower-strewn meadows, jagged mountain peaks, and storybook waterfalls.
Summer or winter, the number of ways you can spend exploring Wells Gray and Clearwater are only limited by your imagination and the time left in your vacation. Sample as much or as little as time will allow – all 5,250 square kilometres (3,262 square miles) of untamed, wilderness fun.
Choose your adventure – is it serene or extreme (or a bit of both)? Explore Murtle Lake, the only way you can…by canoe, with paddle in hand. Stroll to Helmcken Falls or the Ray Family Farm or try something a bit more adventuresome, like a guided hut-to-hut hiking adventure high above the tree line.
Rediscover life before laptops, cruise Clearwater Lake or conquer the Clearwater River on a guided white water rafting or kayak adventure. Tour volcanic fields and historic places with experts leading you along the way. Learn to mush a dog-team, to back country ski or how to fly fish. Encounter animals in the wild – without fences, feeding times or admission. The possibilities are endless as long as you have the time to come play.
Choose your favourite adventures then come out to play in the Canada you imagined!
Select your Activity
- Hiking Wells Gray Country is the sort of place that rewards those who get out on their own two feet and explore , whether it is walking in the mountains or along river trails.
- Wildlife Viewing Wells Gray Park is a year round destination for wildlife viewing , Black and Cinnamon Bears in spring to Marmot, Deer,and Eagles in the summer and Salmon running in the Fall followed by Moose and Cariboo in the winter
- Whitewater Rafting There are an array of rafting trips on offer to suit the needs of you and your family. These range from three hours to full day whitewater trips, from large rafts, big enough for all your family and friends to two-man mini-rafts, ideal if you fancy advancing your whitewater skills!
- Whitewater Kayaking The Clearwater River is not just well know for rafting, but kayaking as well. With just about every class wave available, this river is playboat heaven! Long sections of rapids to smaller "play waves" on the lower river will keep you exploring for as long as you have time for.
- Viewpoints You love pure wilderness, waterfalls and wildlife and Wells Gray will not leave you disappointed. Mountain rivers cut through ancient lava beds to form impressive valleys and geography, there are many short, easy walks from the main road that lead to impressive lookouts and spectacular photo opportunities.
- Guided Hikes & Tours Wells Gray – a landscape so vast you may not know where to begin exploring. Our recommendation? Get to know the lay of the land by exploring with an expert. It’s easy to find your comfort zone when you’re travelling with the pros.
- Canoeing Wells Gray Park, and Clearwater Lake are simply the best places in the world for canoe-touring. Murtle Lake is the largest paddle-only lake in the world . Several of the lakes are ringed with shoreline campsites with picnic tables, bear-proof food safes and outhouses most have sandy beaches great for family swimming.
- Horseback riding If you long for lush green valleys , forest trails and dramatic beauty then horse riding "western style" in Wells Gray Country is for you. Taste a little bit of country on a working ranch or choose trail rides for all abilities from an hour to a full day trip.
- Boat Tours & Water Taxi Follow the Clearwater Valley Road to its end and you’ll find Clearwater Lake where local guides help you experience Wells Gray from the water.
- Cross-Country Skiing Wells Gray Country boasts an extensive network of groomed trails , totaling up to as much as 85kms when conditions are ideal. The trails range from loops for skate and classic skiing to adventure touring routes. There is something for everyone from the go-fast athlete to the complete novice.
- Fishing The large number of lakes and rivers in Wells Gray Country are almost all home to trout. There are about 50 lakes within 1 hour of Clearwater alone. With a few superb rivers like the Mahood and the Clearwater added into the mix, Wells Gray Country is truly a world-class fishing destination.
- Golf If you’re looking for great golfing in beautiful mountain-view settings look no further than our two fabulously situated golf-courses. Lacarya Golf-Course located in Clearwater and Wells Gray Golf-Course located within the park. Both courses are regulation 9 hole par 36
- Hockey & Curling Clearwater Minor Hockey team play at the North Thompson Sportsplex , curling and ice-skating are also available
- Snowmobiling There’s plenty of room for snowmobilers to rev it up in the great white yonder: most gravitate into the powder-bowls of Raft Peak north of Clearwater, which is served by a network of groomed trails and two cabins high in the alpine.
- Snowshoeing An ancient and romantically Canadian method of winter travel, snow shoes offer a different winter experience than Nordic skis.
- Mountain Biking Here’s a range of opportunities for those getting out under their own steam on two wheels. Much of the Mountain biking in Wells Gray takes place on the Clearwater River Trail, on the east side of the river or try the 32km of Candle Creek Nordic ski trails, which offer a great variety of ups and downs.
- Dog Sledding Celebrate winter in the most Canadian of ways learning to mush a sled-dog team through the snowy wilderness of Wells Gray Park. Savour the solitude of winter. Feel the wind on your face. Bounce and glide snow-covered meadows, fuelled by dog power.
- Downhill Skiing The Clearwater Ski Hill is located in the interior of British Columbia, Canada in the community of Clearwater. With several difficult runs, plus a "bunny hill" for beginners, the Clearwater Ski Hill has something for everyone.
- Disc Golf Disc golf is a flying disc game, as well as a precision and accuracy sport, in which individual players throw a flying disc at a target.
- Ice Fishing Come and enjoy a truly Canadian experience and drop a line through the ice of Dutch lake in Clearwater BC and join us for the Rotary ice fishing derby held in January every year , everyone is welcome so bring the whole family to share in the prizes.
- Tennis Come & enjoy a game of tennis on the best courts in the valley located right in the centre of town.
- Swimming When it comes to swimming their are many lakes and swim holes that you can enjoy in Wells Gray Country but the jewel in the crown is Dutch Lake in Clearwater. Crystal clear water a large sandy beach , play park and new swim dock and platform